Friday, November 8, 2013

30 Years Out of the Shadows

Today is the 30th anniversary of Shadow on a Tightrope: Writings by Women on Fat Oppression.

I'm relatively new to this whole loving my body thing. I can't even express how incredibly grateful I am to have such strength of will as the women who contributed to this groundbreaking book to draw from.

One of the first things I learned when I chose to move away from the self hatred bubble I was living in was that I was not going to be able to do this alone. I had to spend as much time as I could devote to reading and listening to others, women especially, who were on this journey of self love and body acceptance. I am constantly drawing from women who have walked this path before me. I have the internet at my fingertips making that support easy to find and relatively safe from hatred.

Thirty years ago these women came together to set the foundation. It takes great courage to call out oppression for what it is, to claim the right to exist in a fat body in this world of thin privilege. Today I still struggle to speak up when I'm being shamed or bullied. What these women had the courage to accomplish 30 years ago emboldens me.

Thank you, today I celebrate your strength and courage. Take a look at the rest of the blog carnival celebration here

No comments:

Post a Comment